Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Recurring Dreams

I think I've always had an active recurring dream during each season of my life, for as far back as I can remember. I kind of like having them, seems I'm trying to send myself a message in my sleep that I'm too busy or won't sit still long enough to tell myself while awake. Even if the dreams aren't happy or exciting, I still like them. You know, there are dreams that leave you feeling disturbed all day the ones that make you feel invincible and inspired, like the ones when you can fly. I've never actually had the flying one, but I wish I could.

As a child, I remember dreaming that there was an intruder in our house and I was alone. I kept trying to think of the best hiding place in the house. Each time I had this dream I would always choose the trunk at the foot of my parents' bed.

When I was a teenager, I had two recurring dreams. In the first dream I was driving my parents' car and I couldn't quite reach the pedal to push the brake all the way down to the floor. I would scoot my butt to the edge of the seat and stretch my tippy toe as far as I could to make the pedal hit the floor. The car would slowly keep inching toward a cliff and I couldn't make it stop. I always woke up before I would actually go over the cliff. The funny thing is the car eventually changed from my parents' car to my own first car.

My second recurring dream as a teenager was the one where I was making out with my boyfriend and then we would do it. You know, "it". I am giggling as I type this. It's true. To most people, this dream would probably leave them feeling blissful, but for me it didn't. This was the dream that I would wake from and cry. I would slowly open my eyes, think to myself, "Oh, no! Did I really just do it? I hope I was just dreaming. Am I still a virgin?" Isn't that the most pitiful thing you have ever heard? It would make me so upset. Looking back, I now realize the dreams I had were called wet dreams ;) Very natural and normal for a hormonal teenage girl. What did I know? I was a "good girl". Oh, the things I missed out on, being the daughter of ministers. I guess I'll save those for another post...

...and we're moving on.

In my least favorite recurring dream, there are tornadoes all around. I can see them in every direction. Some are small like little Bugles (yes, I mean the snack) in the sky, while others are massive F4 tornadoes heading toward my house, my business or wherever I happen to be in my dream. I am always frustrated and fearful while trying to gather my 3 boys close to me and get them to follow me down to the basement. We huddle together, wait for the tornadoes to pass and I try my best to be brave so the boys won't be scared. Then, I poke my head back upstairs to see if it is clear and I see 5 more tornadoes. It sucks. The tornadoes keep coming and we never get out of the basement until I wake up. The end.

In my most favorite recurring dream, which I wish I could have every night,
I can play the piano.
I sit down to a beautiful, vintage upright and I play the most haunting, soothing melodies. I wish I could record them in my dream and play them back when I awake.
That would be stellar.

I think I find a little bit of comfort in recurring dreams. Good or bad. I expect them and I know they will always visit me. They may eventually change, but for a season they stay the same.

2 Comments:

Kristin Russell said...

1. I AM SO GLAD YOU STARTED A BLOG!!!
2. I have the car dream--being too young and not able to drive, AND the tornado dream, except I am driving away from it, and not too scared.
3. I love that you mentioned a female wet dream. Ha!
4. your piano dream is beautiful
Keep dreaming and telling us about it!

Annie McCreary said...

Kristin, thank you. Really, thank you. I admire you.

Post a Comment